Wednesday, April 29 at 6:00–7:00 p.m.
$15 Members / $25 Non-Members
This event is ONLINE - zoom links will be emailed following registration
Sommelier Alicia Barrett is back with another online Wine Tasting! More info coming soon...
This time, she'll be taking you through the wines of the Loire Valley of central France, one of the world's best-known areas of wine production with its fruity, fresh, and crisp varietals. Due to it's abundance of vineyards and orchards, the Loire Valley is alternately referred to as the Cradle of the French and the Garden of France - come try a taste!
Here's how we'll do it:
- You'll choose one bottle of wine from the list proposed by Alicia (Please note: We’ll tell you how to best preserve your bottle if you want to make the pleasure last a few days!)
- Order At Binnys, via phone (or online), with curbside pickup or home delivery.
- Add a pairing option for a more savory experience… if you are up to it! We have suggestions.
- Register to receive the link, click on the link on the day at 6:00 pm… Et voilà!
Alicia will lead you through the region and you will get a chance to share your own tasting notes with the group - all from the comfort of your own home!
Any Loire Valley wine will do, but here are some of Alicia's suggetions (with pairing ideas!):
- Muscadet (Melon de Bourgogne)
- Alicia's favorite producer: Domaine de la Pepiere
- Food pairing idea: Shellfish
- Sancerre or Pouilly Fume (Sauvignon Blanc)
- Alicia's favorite producers: Pascal Jolivet or Henri Bourgeouis
- Food pairing idea: Goat cheese Vouvray
- (Chenin Blanc) Alicia's favorite producer: Domaine Huet
- Food pairing idea: Double/Triple-creme brie or gruyere; something fried will also be lovely!
- Chinon, Bourgueil or Saumur-Champigny (Cabernet Franc)
- Alicia's favorite Chinon producers: Olga Raffault or Bernard Baudry
- Alicia's favorite Saumur producer: Domaine des Coutures
- Food pairing idea: Charcuterie, olives and a nutty cheese; smoked sausage; stuffed mushrooms;
- Cremant de Loire (sparkling): Any producer, limited options in Chicago.
- Food pairing idea: Any of the above!
Have fun choosing your favorites and we look forward to hearing your impressions!
After studying political science at the University of Maryland and spending two years in Washington, Alicia and her husband packed their bags to fulfill a dream of living in Europe. While working at an economic think tank in London, Alicia took a trip to Burgundy and returned so inspired that she began her wine education journey at WSET’s headquarters in London. There she obtained her WSET Level 3 and is now pursuing her WSET Level 4 Diploma in Chicago. In addition to teaching for the American Wine School, Alicia serves as the Wine Educator for Binny’s Beverage Depot, a Champagne Educator for the U.S. Champagne Bureau, and the Director of Education and Events for the American Wine Society-Chicago Chapter.