The Alliance Française de Chicago is over 120 years old and is part of an international network of over 1,100 Alliances and affiliated cultural centers worldwide. It is the second oldest Alliance Française in the US and second largest after the Alliance Française in New York City.
- There are 111 Alliances in the US alone.
- Our history includes a long list of prominent Chicagoans, dating from our founding in 1897, who serve on our Board of Directors and Woman’s Board.
- Our home is two renovated vintage buildings at Dearborn Street and Chicago Avenue, connected by a garden - and we are open to the public.
- We are an independently financed 501(c)(3) non-profit institution and are not a French government agency.
- As such, we must raise nearly half our operating budget from donations and fundraising activities.
Our mission is to be Chicago’s center of French language and French speaking cultures—to promote exchange, understanding, and friendship between Americans and French speaking people—from Europe, Canada, Cajun country, Africa, the Caribbean and the Middle East—a world of over 220 million French speakers.
Come join the excitement at the Alliance Française !